If you just had new granite counters installed in your Brooklyn Park home, you might now be wondering how to keep them clean and disinfected. Here are a few suggestions from the professionals at Minneapolis Granite.
- When we fabricate and install your granite counters, we will apply a sealant to the granite that should last for the life of the counters. If for some reason the sealant needs to be reapplied, there is one telltale sign: if water does not bead up on the counters and instead is absorbed into them, you need to have your granite counters resealed. However, this does not seem to happen very often.
- Cleaning granite counters on a daily basis usually only requires some warm water and a soft cloth. You can use a mild dish soap if you want. And if you spill anything on your new counters, especially a dark colored liquid like red wine, make sure you wipe it up as soon as possible.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners on your granite counters. Do not use anything acidic on them either, like Windex, vinegar, lemon or anything else that contains ammonia or bleach. If you use any of these chemicals or cleaning products on your granite counters, that could dull the finish or cause the sealant to weaken over time.
- There are granite cleaners on the market today. You can use them if you want to. Just be sure to read the instructions carefully. However, if you do not want to spend the money on a special cleaner for your granite counters, you don’t have to.
- Granite is naturally bacteria resistant, which means you do not have to worry about disinfecting them. It’s bacteria resistant because it is nonporous, so there is nowhere for the bacteria to be harbored within the stone.
- If you need to paint or do some type of project that uses harsh chemicals, do not do them on your granite counters. Paint and other harsh chemicals can permanently damage your countertops. It is best to take care of any painting or hobby projects outside or somewhere else where you can safely paint without risking damage to your new granite counters.
Do you want more information on granite counters in Brooklyn Park or the surrounding areas? Call us at Minneapolis Granite at 612-822-3135, or you can contact us and set up a Free Estimate.